Responsible to: Head of Development
Location: Flexible within the Midlands, with travel around the region required. Warehouse base in Nottingham, Leicester or Birmingham and home working available
Hours: Full time, 37.5 hours/week
About FareShare Midlands
FareShare Midlands is a local charity fighting food poverty by tackling food waste. We source food that is surplus to requirements from retailers and manufacturers. We rely on an army of volunteers to help redistribute this food to local charities and community groups who provide meals and food parcels to vulnerable people, including individuals who are homeless, unemployed, socially isolated, school breakfast clubs, community centres and those recovering from addictions.
FareShare Midlands’ Vision
Vision: We have the vision of a UK where “No good food goes to waste”.
Passion – for our cause and the challenge that lies ahead
Ambition – to go the extra mile and drive the change that must happen
Respect – for ourselves, each other, our volunteers, our partners and our beneficiaries
Collaboration – it’s only by working with others that we can be stronger Fighting hunger, tackling food waste
Main purpose of this role
We are looking for a self-motivated and creative Communications Manager to lead our communications activity. In this role you will be in charge of producing high-quality content that engages stakeholders and builds brand recognition.
You will oversee the development of our digital platforms, develop internal and external communications and marketing strategies, and liaise with media to help build FareShare Midlands’ profile via local and national media.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, with brilliant presentation and organisational skills.
- Lead the development and delivery of the communications strategy to build brand awareness, stakeholder engagement and customer satisfaction
- Define key performance indicators for each communications channel indicating levels of success
- Work closely with other teams to create communication and marketing strategies for new projects and initiatives
- Develop key messages that reflect our brand and support our communications objectives
- Provide monitoring and impact data, reporting to senior management and the board of trustees
- Oversee social media planning ensuring content is relevant, timely and impactful
- Oversee the website and ensure all content is in line with wider strategic objectives
- Lead the planning and delivery of our stakeholder newsletter, including audience segmentation
- Write blogs, newsletters and other content as required.
- Analyse performance data and report on channel effectiveness.
- Write informative and interesting press releases that tell our story and encourage media attention.
- Maintain effective relationships with local journalists and media outlets, maximising opportunities to raise our profile
- Build and maintain relationships with local charities receiving food from FareShare Midlands, leading to impactful content
- Track and report on media coverage
- Reach out to influencers and advocates to support our storytelling at a regional and national level
- Design and deliver fully integrated marketing campaigns that utilise all channels to maximise brand recognition and voice and support the fundraising strategy.
- Plan and manage the design, content, and production of all marketing materials.
- Supervise projects to guarantee all content is publication-ready.
- Develop a public affairs strategy which identifies key politicians and stakeholders and keeps them informed of and engaged in our work
- Organise or attend meetings with key stakeholders, representing FareShare Midlands and forging contacts with decision-makers
- Provide written or oral briefings for senior staff members and advise them on contact with decision-makers
- Keep abreast of relevant media stories and be ready to respond accordingly
- Create internal communications protocols and initiatives that will foster the team working culture and values of FareShare Midlands and support employee wellbeing
- Oversee the delivery of our monthly internal newsletter
- Line manage the Communications Officer
- Work effectively with staff teams and volunteers, both within our operations and with member charities
- Undertake any other reasonable duties to support the operations of the charity.
- 3+ years prior experience working in a communications or PR role
- Proven success designing and executing marketing and communications strategies and campaigns
- Significant experience of harnessing PR to raise the profile of an organisation or a programme/issue
- Demonstrable track record of using social media to achieve strategic goals
- Experience of managing internal and external stakeholder relationships with success
- Working within a fast paced environment with the necessary drive, energy and commitment to learn new things quickly.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Must be able to think analytically and strategically
- Capable of working well as part of a team as well as independently
- Great multitasker and capable of simultaneously managing multiple projects with different deadlines
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and database), digital marketing platforms and content databases.
- Knowledge of the not for profit/charity sector and the impact of effective PR and communications in championing key issues
- Knowledge of CRM systems and Mailchimp
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or relevant field, or other industry recognised qualification such as CIPR/CIM
Please forward your CV and a covering letter of no more than 500 words setting out why you consider yourself suitable for the role to email@example.com
Closing Date is Midnight, Sunday 6 June 2021
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 15 June 2021
Further information about who we are and what we do can be found on our website at www.faresharemidlands.org.uk