Hours: Full-time (37.5 hours)
Location: Midlands Region
Remuneration: £26,000 - £ 28,000 depending on experience
About FareShare Midlands
FareShare Midlands is a high profile charity with investors and stakeholders from varying sectors including over 500 companies in the food industry. The issues of food poverty and food waste have a higher profile than at any time previously, and we intend to make the most of this given the challenges faced in our region and community to access quality food. This role is critical to our future as we seek to double our work in under three years, and the number of charities we can support will be heavily influenced by the successes you have in helping grow a reliable and secure food supply. You will be joining us as we undergo a period of rapid growth and change, and will head-up one of our 3 main priorities – the secure & sustainable supply of adequate and appropriate surplus food that both meets existing and helps support growing demand.
Main purpose of this role
The primary objective of this role is to optimise the supply & conversion of surplus food available in to our region, working closely with the Regional Ops Managers and the FareShare UK Commercial & Food teams to identify and improve stable & innovative approaches to the optimisation of the in-bound supply chain. You will work closely with all partners who are involved in the supply of surplus food into our region, from the FSUK Food Team to the local producer who is able to provide small volumes of good quality surplus food for our members. You will lead on our ‘frozen food’ initiative and be a key player in our innovative store level re-distribution programme. This role sits across the Operations and Development Teams of FareShare Midlands.
Our national partner FareShare UK has strong, strategic and collaborative relationships with some of the most sophisticated and influential food businesses in the UK, and this will form the majority of the surplus food that we receive. You will be the link on the ground between this team, the FS Midlands team and the local suppliers supporting with new accounts and opportunities where appropriate. However, you will also identify creative and innovative ways of optimising this supply by reducing and eliminating waste and accessing more difficult to reach & place food, where a local approach provides the most effective and efficient process & outcome. We have had great success working with partners from the Central England Co-op to various local-based restaurants for instance, unlocking surplus that would otherwise have gone to waste, and your role will be to identify and deliver more of these opportunities, whilst ensuring strong communication links with the FSUK team and other RCs across the network to deliver best practise share and economies of scale where appropriate. You will also work with the FS Midlands development team to identify innovative and creative ways of utilising this ‘surplus-surplus’ food that delivers a higher conversion rate, such as meal production.
FareShare Midlands is an equal opportunities employer.
We are looking for an organised, self-motivated and determined individual who is passionate for our cause and up for a busy & exciting new role with plenty of challenge and opportunities to innovate. A successful record of working within the food industry, either retail or manufacturing, would be a genuine advantage to ensure the skills, knowledge and credibility are in place. We are continually evolving our processes and working in different ways with companies from across the food industry, so a natural desire to innovate, problem solve and implement change would be required.
This role will report directly to the Head of Operations but will also work with the Food Coordination Team at FareShare UK on a regular basis, ensuring a strong and mutually beneficial link between our region and the wider network.
- Strengthen existing relationships with all our supply partners, through the FSUK Food team, providing excellent customer service and relationship management – you will be the main point of contact for these partners.
- Help us & our food partners to redistribute surpluses in the most environmentally, socially and financially efficient way, minimising waste and ‘surplus-surplus’.
- Identify potential new food volumes by exploring innovative solutions to ‘hard to reach’ & ‘hard to place’ surplus food, working closely with retailers, suppliers, FSUK and other RCs to develop processes to ensure compliance and share best practice
Reporting and Database Management
- Provide excellent customer service to the three Regional Centres via reports & updates, and relay feedback from industry and the Food Team to the Ops Managers & their teams.
- Review and control the level of waste driven by type / date of food received into the region, with an objective of minimising to below network levels
To gather and provide supporting information on food offers & conversion rates (e.g. volume of food, number of collections and locations, acceptance rate, improvements applied over time to increase efficiency).
- Use our in-house system to provide weekly reports on key statistics for the Supply chain & Operations Managers, the Food Team and food partners as requested, and utilise Sales Force to co-ordinate the acceptance and dispatch of food
- Proven relationship management experience within food retail or manufacturing businesses, and an understanding of the importance of informing the right stakeholders at the right time.
- Broad understanding of various functions across the food industry, from manufacturing to retail and new product development. You will have worked in commercial, technical or operational roles in the food supply chain, with customer / supplier contact
- Ability to use own initiative to drive success, working independently and having responsibility as an individual to identify opportunities to innovate.
- Strong communication & project co-ordination skills
- Strong time-management skills to ensure effective allocation of resources to cope with competing demands and to prioritise tasks appropriately.
- Ability to analyse data, spot trends and present reports, utilising MS Office
- Understanding of how FareShare Midlands operates and its objectives.
- Action-oriented with a proven desire to seek tangible outcomes and incremental improvement through change & innovation.
- Knowledge of and interest in Sustainable Development, Sustainability, Corporate Social Responsibility and experience of its application within the business environment.
Essential Competencies and Behaviours
- An understanding of, and passion for, the mission and values of FareShare.
- A proven ability to work as a team member or leader, willing to share all viewpoints and avoid or challenge localised and parochial solutions
- Able to demonstrate respect for work colleagues and FareShare beneficiaries.
- A positive and “can-do” attitude with the motivation to change & innovate.
- Willing to regularly travel to meet food partners, with access to a car
The details contained in the job description, particularly the principal accountabilities, reflect the content of the job at the date the job description was prepared. It should be remembered, however, that it is inevitable that over time the nature of individual jobs will change, and consequently FareShare Midlands will expect to revise this job description from time to time and will consult with the post holder at the appropriate time.
If you think that this role is for you, then please send us your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Monday 16th November; Interviews w/c 16th November 2020