Salary: £19,500 per annum
Location: Nechells, Birmingham with some travel to other FareShare Midlands Depots
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, some Saturday and Bank Holiday working may be required
Benefits: 25 days holiday, pro-rata, 5.5% Employer Pension Contribution including Life Cover, Occupational Sick Pay Benefits & Enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity Leave and Pay, plus more
Reporting to: Volunteering Manager
About FareShare Midlands
FareShare Midlands is the region’s largest food redistribution charity, fighting food poverty and hunger by tackling waste. We source good quality food that is surplus to requirements from retailers and manufacturers. We rely on an army of volunteers to help redistribute this food to 550 frontline charities such as school breakfast clubs, community centres and organisations supporting those who are homeless, unemployed, socially isolated and recovering from addiction. These organisations provide meals and food parcels to more than 70,000 vulnerable people every week.
1. Passion - We have passion for our cause and the challenges that lie ahead.
2. Ambition - We go the extra mile and drive the changes that must happen.
3. Respect - We have respect for ourselves, each other, our volunteers, our members and the environment.
4. Collaboration - We will work better with others to strengthen our fight against hunger, poverty and food waste.
5. Accountability - We assume responsibility for our actions, our service, our decisions, our impact and our policies.
This role will work closely with the Volunteering Manager to coordinate and administrate the daily running of our volunteer programme in the Nechells area. You will be responsible for the timely collection, processing and updating of all volunteer data for the volunteer teams in your area.
You will also ensure that compliance data such as food hygiene certificates, driving licence checks etc. are completed and recorded within expected timeframes.
The role will involve working closely with the operations teams to ensure that volunteer inductions are completed and site rotas are maintained.
Key duties and responsibilities
1. Volunteer Administration
- Ensure that all new applications are responded to and processed in a timely and professional manor
- Ensure that all induction paper work is completed and recorded prior the volunteer starting
- Carry out on site inductions for new volunteers
- Ensure that all volunteer records including contact details are maintained and up to date
2. Volunteer Compliance and Training
- Take appropriate volunteer references within agreed timescales
- Administrate and monitor food hygiene online training for all volunteers
- Ensure that drivers licence checks are completed and recorded
- Support volunteers to get the most out of the training that is available to them
- Coordinate other compliance and training programmes as required
3. Volunteer Systems management
- Ensure that the National Volunteer Management System is up to date at all times
- Ensure that reporting data for FareShare UK is available as required
- Maintain the active volunteer list for each depot in your area
4. Operational support
- Support the development and maintenance of depot volunteer rotas
- Liaise with volunteers for the operational team as required
- Support volunteer activities and events
Person Specification - Skills, Qualities & Experience
- Able to establish and maintain systems and accurate recording of data
- Experience of working with people from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to deal with people at all levels
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated with good team-working skills
- Good time management with ability to manage workloads to meet deadlines
- IT literacy, in particular of using Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, and Excel)
- A commitment to Equal Opportunities and inclusivity
- To subscribe to the ethos, vision and mission of FareShare Midlands
- Experience of supporting volunteers
- Experience of supporting adults with additional support needs
- Experience of using volunteer management systems
- An understanding of Food Safety and Health and Safety legislation
- Full clean driving licence and have access to a vehicle so can travel between depots as needed
Values and behaviours
- A commitment to Equal Opportunities
- An appreciation of FareShare Midlands’ mission and vision
- Flexibility of approach and ability to work in a team
- Proven ability to develop and maintain good working relations, with both internal and external audiences
- The roleholder will be required to work flexibly. The role provides a mixture of home-working, outreach work and working in our regional centre offices
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for this role, please create a supporting statement to demonstrate your suitability and to explain your interest in both the job and FareShare Midlands. Send your supporting statement with a copy of your CV to
We continue to strive to ensure that the profile of our staff and volunteers reflects the diverse communities we serve across the Midlands. As such we encourage and welcome applications from all our communities. We particularly welcome applications from people from ethnically diverse backgrounds as they are currently under-represented within FareShare Midlands.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday 7th August 2022, 12 Midnight.
Interviews will take place on Monday 15th August 2022